[Dailydrool] Help!

Vanessa Engquist via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Nov 14 19:46:04 PST 2015

I need some help from the basset community. My 13 year old boy is driving me insane! Well not really but I'm at a loss as to what to do for him. I'm pretty sure he is completely deaf at this point, but its hard to tell. I am also positive he has cataracts in both eyes. The vet said he can most likely see shadows, but is completely blind in the dark. Here is my problem, he used to love laying outside in the sun, now he goes out, does his business on the deck and barks, cries and howls to come in. Once inside he wanders through the house destroying anything that might smell like food. He eats high quality food, and gets plenty of it. He has fresh water and a bed built for a king. He pretty much acts like he is starving, even right after I feed him. I've had him checked and the vet says everything checks out, leading me to believe it is a behavior thing, not an illness. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out with him but this one has got me stumped. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate anything you can suggest. I cant have him outside barking all day, but he also cant be inside cooped up all day either (since his back injury 4 years ago he has a leaky bladder)

Thank you in advance
Vanessa and Jimmy the dog