[Dailydrool] Lessons learned from Bassets

Mary Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Nov 21 10:02:13 PST 2015

Jessica, such a lovely tribute to your beloved Harley!

Things I've learned from bassets:
>From Billy B Basset I learned that everything, even the most wonderful
thing, comes to an end, and that sometimes it is time to go. (Learning this
was incredibly painful for me, but because I was able to learn it, his
going was not painful for him. But gee, I still cry when I think of him.)

>From Vernon Q Basset I learned that it's never too late to start again.
Vern was 8 when he came to us. He was quite unfamiliar with walks and
definitely preferring to be inside watching television. He had a great
seven plus years of exploring the beach, racing through the forest at Vern
racing speed, and hanging out with Paddi B Basset, the cats, the alpacas
and for his last few months with Simba the Formosan mountain dog.

>From Paddi B Basset I learned that every dog lover should have a puppy. One
puppy. I learned that just because you think someone doesn't like tomatoes,
or raw potatoes, or broccoli, or apples, you should ask first anyway. They
might! I learned that there is no comfort like a loving dog snuggled up on
a cold night. I learned that dogs grieve the loss of friends as much as I
do. And mostly, I have learned that life is a Most Excellent Adventure,
with Something To Do every minute unless you are asleep and sleeping is
Something To Do so please don't disturb me.

Love to you at this difficult time, Jessica,
Mary
with Paddi B Basset, and Billy B & Vernon Q ATB,
Simba the Formosan Mountain Dog,
the cats past present and future,
and the three alpacas (plus one ATB)