[Dailydrool] Part one What my dog taught me

Jaime Brigance via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Nov 21 13:00:56 PST 2015

My dogs have taught me that unconditional love is real.  From the perspective of a sexual abuse survivor, that is a very big to learn and accept. That even though the word TIME can be a very ugly 4 letter word, that it can pass.  However slowly.

It was Friday night, July 1st, 2005.  My Nellie basset hound was barking at my back door, not something she ever did.  She did not bark even if people knocked.  The back door was the entrance to the basement, where the other two bedrooms were.  I opened the door and told her there was no one there.  She ran downstairs and barked at my husband’s bedroom door.  Oddly, one of our cats was laying outside his door.  Very odd.  Nellie stood there and barked at the door for several minutes.  I had no clue.  I would find out two days later that my husband killed himself that night.  Nellie knew.  I know she knew.
Nellie taught me that it was possible to heal from one of the worst devastations one can endure--the suicide of a mate.  Nellie knew what devastating unrelenting pain was.  She was a breeder dog that was abused, broken ribs and a blood infection.  And they took her puppies from her early.
There was a knock on my door two days later on a Sunday afternoon after church, July 3rd, 2005.  My husband had left to visit his family out of state.  It was the Coroner telling me that he had killed himself.  My then 8 year old daughter sat on the couch with her basset, Ruby, and Ruby licked her and reassured her that she would make it through this.  My Nellie did the same.  The next months were spent watching movies on the couch and snuggling with basset hounds.  Nellie & Ruby get the credit for loving my daughter and I through that horrible time period.
part two will follow