[Dailydrool] Intramural Fighting

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Apr 18 06:44:51 PDT 2016

Here, for what it is worth, is what I learned from watching Conley chew on
Doc and spit him out:

The dog we thought was the aggressor---was not.
The dog we thought was the aggressor was defending himself against another
dog who played very very rough.
Because we picked the wrong dog to correct, the situation not only
continued but escalated, because the wrong dog learned he could get away
with chewing on the "aggressor" and the dog we thought to blame became ever
more fearful and angry and defensive.

Eventually we neutered one who needed neutering anyway due to medical
reasons, and put the "aggressor" on medication (Prozac).
We also provided a safe, quiet, sheltered place for the dogs to chill out
after an encounter.
We learned that Conley required about fourteen times longer to get back to
a normal state of mind than we had been told.
We were led to believe he would forget the problem in ten minutes, but
Bassets have a memory and they hold grudges with the best and it takes
Conley about 30-45 minutes to get to a point where he can come out of the
crate without going after his nemesis again.

So be sure the dog you think is to blame is to blame.
Provide a secure place to put an angry dog until he or she cools off.
Keep the dog separated longer than you think necessary.
Consider medication.
Let the dogs know you won't allow aggression. Really come down on them both
for fighting.
And of course
Don't get bitten....

MomPerson to Doc (the sneaky aggressor/victim) Conley (The
aggressor/victim) and Merta Lou (she watches.)

bgszap2 at gmail.com