[Dailydrool] more Bounders Brewster, Mattie and Foster join the pack

wen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Aug 27 05:15:53 PDT 2016

While we have to say goodbye to hounds, we also are able to add a few in.

In the last 2 months, we have welcomed in Brewster, a Suncoast Basset rescue
hound,  Mattie and Foster, a pair of owner relinquish hounds from the
panhandle area on FLA.

Brewster has glaucoma and is very limited on his sight.  His pressures are
under control with the drops we religiously give him during the day.  He is
a big old red and white boy.  I love him to death, he sleeps a lot and has
not gotten the hang of going out the dog door to do his business, but we are
working on that.  I have always felt the red and whites were not the
brightest, but they have the most heart.  I am partial to the big red and
white boys.

Mattie and Foster, while having grown up together, are not hugely bonded,
although I think Mattie is more attached than Foster.  Mattie is very shy
and when people are over, he will stay outside. I know he will get more
comfortable in time, but I imagine, that could take easily a year.  We have
had other hounds who are similar to him and you just have to give them time,
nothing can really force that. So, we make sure he comes in after a few
minutes, and let him sit in a crate(too hot down here for him to be out too
long). He is fine with that and feels safe.  He is a big love to us, and
just this morning got into the bed and let me snuggle with him, and then I
got some Mattie kisses!  Mattie is only 9, so really a baby to the group.

Foster is around 12 and also a big love, and a big boy.  He has it rough
right now as he just got a dental and they found a fistula that ran the
length of his mouth.  They were only able to do the upper right quadrant as
the repair of the fistula took so long.  He is a trooper and recovering
well.  He is on "soup" for the next couple weeks and once he heals up, we
will schedule time for the rest of his mouth.   He had to have 3 really bad
teeth come out too this time.  The vet said she focused on the worst ones
first.  Mattie will get his teeth done this coming Thursday.

Sadly when one leaves us, there is always another one who has a need.  I
would love to be put out of business one day because all animals have hoes
and are being well cared for.  I don't think in my life time, that will
happen, so we will continue to do what we can in our little corner of rescue
world.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Arooos,  wen and all the Bounders

houndsabound at cfl.rr.com <mailto:houndsabound at cfl.rr.com>