[Dailydrool] Back surgery

Pat via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Feb 2 07:06:24 PST 2016

I agree with Dawn...the x pen is  a good idea.  Our Murph (basset coonhound mix) blew a disc and had emergency surgery. It turned out that he had degenerative disc disease. We received the 'confinement for 6 weeks instructions. '
We set the pen in the living room with an old plastic shower curtain (you can get those very inexpensive blue plastic tarps also) on top of the tarp we had an old quilt.then his bed.

We used the living room as there was a tv and it was winter so usually someone would be there watching tv etc (retired dad etc) the pen could be seen from dining area and kitchen and Murph could see us and talk to us. Sometimes in the afternoon I would take a book and pillow and get into the pen area on the floor and lay there and read.  Murph loved putting his head on your shoulder when he was sleeping.

At night we would move the pen into the bedroom where my daughter slept.  It was next to her bed and she could reach down and put her hand on him when he would get restless.

Going outside we used a sling to support him and always tried to have two of us out there at the same time to help him and each other.

After 4 weeks he started making attempts to stand.  We often got into the pen and sat there to entertain and pet and cuddle him until he would get tired and settle down from trying to move around. Sometimes pw Lilygurl  would lay up against the outside of his pen for a snooze.  He'd lay against her on the inside of the pen.
At 6 weeks he was walking and we only kept him contained when we were gone and at night.

By 8 weeks he was recovered and was fine for at least 4 more years. He waddled in Michigan at least once! He went to the bridge just a little over a year ago so he had a great life despite it all and still loved his walkies up to the end.

Good luck..we are sending drool

Rudy and the Entourage'
Sent from my iPad