[Dailydrool] Happy Tenth Rusty!

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jan 25 14:18:48 PST 2016

I'm not sure how it happened, but Rusty is 10!

He came to us from Penny Angel's Beagle Rescue. Back when Rich and I volunteered for a basset rescue, the boss lady and her husband turned up in my office asking if we could take a 76 pound basset that was just too much for them and the old beagies in their house. Penny Angels took him from a veterinarian as an owner surrender. He was supposed to be a foster, but never left. Can't blame this one on me........I was in Texas and called home. Rich said there was a possible home for Rusty in NY......but he wasn't going anywhere.

Which was a bit of a surprise. In his youth, Rusty Roo had a little habit of, er, snacking. Like on people. He snacked on Rich and he snacked big on Hank who tried to stop him from snacking on Cakie. All our friends knew....."Don't grab his collar." We were well trained. No collar grabbing, no trying to move him when he was sleeping and on the rare occasions that he tried to steal Cakie (then) or Pawtunia's (now), bowl, do not try and take it unless using the floor squeegie. He gradually stopped snacking......and even let Hanni remove a stolen burger from his mouth. Her stunned audience shrieked, "NO!!" as she did it. Folks came to like, even love the big guy...... When my not all that cooperative dad came to live with us for a year, Hank and Sharon, Tunes breeders, kindly took both of them. It was awful for us.........and when we could have them back, we had to gently pry Rusty from their hands. He joined the pack and is particularly fond of Pawtunia's dawGter, Fannie Mae who occasionally kicks his ass. He likes to sleep. A lot. Likes his belly rubs and is more than happy to travel to raise money for poor hounds. He will never be a King or Grand Marshall. Nobody wants to lift him and risk his return to snacking. He did allow his Uncle Frank to lift him on the pooped pup truck at the Boardwaddle. Rusty wasn't pooped, he just wanted to go in the opposite direction from the pawrade. If Frank wanted to go with the flow, Rusty needed a ride. That he let Frank lift him means Roo loves Uncle Frank. I have a ramp to my car after he refused to get in following a meet and greet at Dietz and Watson. The staff had to drive my car to a loading dock, put metal to bridge the gap to my little BUV. Only then would he get in.

Rusty is willing to enter catching contests. His eyesight isn't quite what it was, but he is happy to get the tossed treats. He will endure silly costumes and is generally a good sport.

Rusty has retained his beagle roots. He attends the annual Penny Angels' Beagle Barbecue. When he visits his beagle peeps on their Petsmart Saturdays, folks run to greet him. It's been over 6 years since he came to us......and everybody at Penny Angels love's the big wannabeagle. He is always included in their annual photo montage.

His fur has not turned white, and he looks about the same as when he arrived. He came with vet records and I've talked to his original human. Who gave him up because she had a toddler, small house and no way to keep him from snacking on the kid. Can't exactly blame her. He was from a litter of about 5, but she does not recall exactly where she went to get him.....and the beagle folks turned down his AKC papers when she offered. I would just like to know his family......except he has found his doppleganger brudder, Clyde Wilder. Adopted the same month and born the same month. Happy Birthday, brudder Clyde.

Steak and big cookies are his and Pawtunia's tonight.

Happy Birthday, Rusty.

dawnslave