[Dailydrool] Basset Therapy dogs

don/jan cook via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jan 25 16:25:55 PST 2016

I have a 2 yr. old Basset who is a therapy dog. He just loves his job. We go to nursing and retirement homes, day programs for various vulnerable adults, even what they call a “de-stress fest” at the nearby University.
The students themselves organize it, just before exams. There will be about a dozen therapy dogs in a big room, on campus. And would you believe they get about 400 kids interested in petting and loving the dogs, and the occasional cat as well?
The students form a long line that wraps around the building, and they let a couple of dozen in at a time. They also give us free parking and make a donation to our group.
My Basset spends most of his time upside down, getting belly rubs. Heaven!
He also does reading therapy at a nearby elementary school. The children in grade one read to him. He knows to lie on his blanket. The children will say “I think he is sleeping” and I tell them with those big ears , he is listening. He doesn’t care if it is the same story over and over!
So yes! They make great therapy dogs!

Jan and the hounds
tudor2 at shaw.ca