[Dailydrool] Adaptil

Donna Lindy via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jan 30 14:10:32 PST 2016

Carol, our Bosley is the same way.  All my Drool buddies know about his
episodes in the car.  Nothing works for Bos although I have not tried the
calming collar.  What works for me is knowing that it’s going to happen.
I never put Bosley in the car without a clean up kit which includes latex
gloves, paper towels, a couple of poop bags plus another bag to put it and
anything else in.  I also layer blankets and quilts in the car so I can fold one
up if it gets soiled and I put it in a larger bag until we get home.  I promise you,
your vet is not appalled and totally understands. The techs at my clinic have
helped me clean my car and Bosley on more than one occasion.  Bosley is
known to poop before we are out of the neighborhood; sometimes he
manages to wait until we are a couple of miles down the road - on a rare
occasion we get to the vet without an accident but he will usually just poop
in the waiting or exam room. Such is life with Bosley.

Yes, I’ve tried walking him several times before we leave.  I’ve tried
all sorts of calming aids - no go.  So, Bosley poops in the car and I
clean it up and give him a smooch afterwards.  He’s the sweetest
boy ever and would never do such a thing if he could help it.

I think the Adaptil collar is worth a try - maybe it will work.  You also
might try putting him in the car and going somewhere for a treat on
a regular basis; taking the other hounds with you might work. It didn’t
for Bos but you never know.

You do need to find out if it’s the car or the vet that’s the problem
Either way, I recommend a clean up kit that includes some water to
wipe off a tail or paw.

Good luck! I feel your pain.

Donna