[Dailydrool] Potty training a feral Beagle that lives with 2 senior Bassets-HELP!

melissa gibson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Jul 5 13:22:12 PDT 2016

Hello Drool Family,
Abe and Buster's quite and lazy retirement days have been destroyed by my ill fated decision to adopt a feral beagle mix. Tinker is a beagle mix that was found this winter in a state park with a bunch of other dogs. When I saw her at the Petsmart rescue days she looked like a mini me of Buster (he is very girly looking) After visiting her a few times I took the plunge. Now she doesn't make a lot of noise like a normal Beagle. She barks for food in the morning when she does her little dance of impatience. She is a mere 14 lbs. full grown, she's about 3-4 years old. She was probably a puppy mill dog, all I know is she is a FREAK! The foster told me she was almost potty trained-I should have known. She literally wouldn't even physically go outside when I first got her, I had to carry her outside. She is either in a ball on the couch or in her crate, it is very strange to me that she doesn't roam around the house taking in the sights and smells. Abe hates her because she darts by him and usually trips him, he will snap at her. Buster pretty much tolerates/ignores her. Sorry, this is long winded, ok problem at hand. This dog will not go to the bathroom outside. She gets let out at least ten times a day plus a walk but she doesn't go to the bathroom. She was sneaking and peeing when I left her loose which I can't have because I rent. That led to the crating unless I am home to supervise. Now all I read is how dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep. This dog will only go to the bathroom in her crate! Everyday I get home from work and she has pooped and peed, and stomped around in it all day. Most nights are spent doing pee laundry and washing her off in the sink, she squeals and I am sure she hates me but she has shit caked feet and I can't let her loose until she is cleaned off. This has been going on for almost 3 months at this point. Aside from not wanting to clean everynight after a long day at work now I am concerned she won't go at all unless its in her crate. If I am home on the weekend and she hangs out all day she won't go to the bathroom all day untill she goes in her crate at night. She is just a scared to death little dog, she is not mean or aggressive in anyway and I have got her to do a few things differently so I know she can learn but this bathroom thing is killing me.All advice welcome. Thanks.

MelissaAbe & Buster (we are old and even we can hold our bodily functions)Tinker ( I went from pooping in the woods to pooping in my crate! It's a big scary world out there!)
magbjh at yahoo.com