[Dailydrool] Remembering Those Who Crossed Over

Chyril Sparks via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Jul 5 16:46:49 PDT 2016

Hello everybody. Healing drool to all of those that need it. Strength to those Bassets dealing with kittens or new fosters in their homes. It does take some adjustment to a newbie in the pack, but Bassets always seem to adapt and overcome those obstacles.
I have been reading on the list how many of us have had our precious Bassets cremated and kept in various containers until we decided what to do with their ashes. I have my precious Harley in a wooden box on the shelf with a ceramic paw print right behind it. I have a heart shaped charmed designed to hold some of his ashes but right now I cannot bring myself to open the bag to take a few out to place in the charm. I have a shadow box on the wall in the hallway of my home that contains photos and a paw print of my Cocker Spaniel mix who passed away shortly after Harley's arrival. I have the supplies to make another shadow box for Harley and Olivia's paw prints but I first need to print the photos I am going to place in the box. I am also going to mount a collar for each one in the box to add to the memories.
My sister who owns retired racing greyhounds, has put together scrap books for her dogs that have passed. In each book is numerous photos of the dog along with any racing paperwork they came with that shows how many wins or losses the dog had while at the track. The scrapbook allows her to write messages to the pet as time passes. She starts the scrapbook shortly after they die and it allows for fresh memories to be placed in the book. She had each one cremated and so far each greyhound's ashes have been spread into the ocean to carry on. She takes her dogs to the beach each year.
Each of us struggle in our way to cope with the loss of our friends, and we want to remember them and hang on to them for as long as we can. Often times they are taken from us to early or for many we have them for many years. Regardless of how long they are in our lives, they manage to make a home in our hearts that can never filled with the love of another dog. It just means our hearts grow bigger to accommodate the love of our future family friends.

Chyril owner to Harley (ATB), Annabelle, Cassie, & Olivia (ATB)chyrils at yahoo.com