[Dailydrool] Prescription costs

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jun 10 14:42:25 PDT 2016

I discovered that prescription prices can vary greatly, depending on
what pharmacy you buy them from. I am on a gazillion drugs myself, and I
have seen it with my drugs. The privately owned pharmacy I go to is
cheaper than the online one my insurance company keeps trying to sell me
on. The only way to know what is cheapest is to call around.

Watch out for food-store pharmacies. One of them advertised a drug one
of my dogs was on at a very cheap price. When I went to pick up the
medication, it turned out it was way more expensive than my usual
pharmacy. But to do them justice, Abner was on a different medication
that they gave us for free. It happened to be a common one (perhaps his
thyroid medication?) that was a lure to get people to use their
pharmacy. I  had thought the expensive drug was another of those, but
the left hand did not seem to know what the right one was doing. No one
could explain the high price to me.

One of the drawbacks of mailing pharmacies is that many drugs have
warnings that they should not be allowed to sit at high or low
temperatures. You cannot guarantee that the UPS guy or whoever else
delivers for them will not allow your precious drugs to sit all day in
the heat or cold.

As I have said before, one of the most expensive ways to deal with
canine glaucoma is to buy drugs from the eye doc. I found we could get
Dex's drugs way cheaper by getting the script and having it filled with
a generic at a pharmacy. In NJ, and probably elsewhere, vets are
required to give a script if you ask for one.

Hope this helps.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets