[Dailydrool] Toys & "leave it"

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Mar 7 09:14:15 PST 2016

Many years ago, someone on the Drool sent our hounds Jane and Belvedere
a cute lizard that became an immediate favorite. Fights did sometimes
occur over it, but I could never find another one to make everything
fair. They adored that toy for a long, long time.

Our current pack is not interested in the lizard at all, even though it
still squeaks. Dex loves to chew on squeaky toys while I make his food,
to remind me to hurry. He seems to like the unstuffed toys, though,
since most of them no longer squeak. He still chews on their silent
squeakers.

Dogs seem to have their own rules on what toys are best. Each one makes
up personal rules, and deviations from them are not tolerated.

I get a pretty good response for Horton on "leave it." Unless, of
course, he is headed for poop. Then it seems to depend on how enticing
the poop is. Dex never needs the command, because, as I have said for
years, he is perfect. Poop does not entice him. He never counter
cruises. Only food that is handed to him is fair game. Whoever had this
dog before we did was a wonderful dog trainer. I thank them for their
work with him and cannot imagine how they could bear to give him up,
glaucoma or not.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets