[Dailydrool] Funny Story

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Mar 9 04:12:20 PST 2016

I thought I would share a story I was told concerning a basset. I met this
nice lady on one of the New Neighbor outings. Turns out she had 5 dogs and
had just moved from California. Like me, she used to do some dog sitting in
her home. I better tell you what kindof dogs she has because, as many of
you know, it tells a lot about a person. Anyway, here they are: rescued
labridoodle, golden retreiver, schnouzer mix (I know this is horribly
misspelled, but spell checl on my computer has disappeared), poodle mix and
chihuahua mix. So they are taking care of Lilly the basset age 4. They
decide to go to the dog park. So, they open the door to their apartment and
expect all the dogs to go to their car and jump in. Well, Lilly the basset
decided to go on a walkabout. Apparently when she didn't jump into the car,
some of the others decided to follow her. They managed to get everyone but
Lilly in the car. Lilly was found about 10 blocks away and proceeded to do
a flat basset rather than walk back to the car. They elected to never
babysit sweet Lilly again because she was so bad.

I am laughing my head off. She doesn't think this is funny at all. I did
tell her how horrible the ordeal must have been, and agreed that a basset
probably didn't work with her crew.

Meanwhile, I am thinking, the only time I would open the door to the house
and say okay everyone get in the car would be if the car was in the garage
and the garage door was shut. We did this all the time in Indiana. But here
in Georgia, our garage is not quite as big. It is big enough for a car and
a golf cart. We still have too much going on and the garage is storing the
golf cart and all the crap for all the projects going on. I put leashes on
everyone and we walk to the car. I always worry about the neighborhood cats
and squirrels. I think we all know that chasing them is more exciting than
listening to mom and doing what we are told. Most of us have experienced
the flat basset phenomenon. Not all do this all the time. Browyn has only
done it once in her life. The day she got out and I was frantically
searching and people in the community helped because I posted it on the
community facebook page. Yeah. That day. When I found her, she refused to
walk. I had to carry her. Fortunately she is a very small basset (35 lbs)
and we had gotten a phone call and driven to where she was seen. I only had
to carry her through a big yard. Doable.

I just had to laugh because I really do think people who are attracted to
different breeds do have very different expectations on what they want in a
dog. Tim and I have had bassets since 1991. I had them growing up and Tim's
favorite dog in the neighborhood had been a basset next door. We adore the
breed, but we also see why so many end up in rescue. I always have people
who see my bassets and think they want one because they are so cute and
adorable. Most of these people should never get one. Bassets are just not a
great breed if you like your dogs to be reliable off lead. I have had 2
that I would let go in the front yard with me in their old age off lead.
Funny how these two were the WORST about going flat basset on me as well.
They would slowly wander around and if they got too far away, I called them
and they came and I gave them a small treat from my pocket. These two had
zero prey drive as well. We used to laugh becuase the birds would eat on
the ground with them! Then there are the bassets with the extremely high
prey drives...like Browyn. I had two other females very similar to her.
Well enough musings for today.I hope everyone is having a great week.
Bugsey is producing tons of healing drool for all who need it.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess