[Dailydrool] Dental advice please

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Mar 29 01:39:26 PDT 2016

For a couple of years, Clara's breath has been rank. Each time a vet has looked at her teeth, they have said although there is plaque, they are "not that bad" for her age and not worth the risk and expense of a dental. She will be 12 in May.
Rolph was 11 in October. His teeth have always been fairly good, but his breath has started to be foul. At his annual check-up a couple of weeks ago, the vet suggested a dental and hydrotherapy as he's losing muscle in his hips/thighs.
I have always had a very high opinion of this vet. In fact, he won "vet of the year" for the whole UK last year for going above and beyond, voted for by clients. I have already booked the hydrotherapy. Two things are playing on my mind about the dental. Firstly, he suggested it should "really take place in the next month" and secondly, why do it when, to my mind, Clara's are much worse and although six months older, have been much worse longer. Am I being paranoid in wondering if this is more about cashflow at the surgery, than Rolph's health?
I will spend whatever money is needed (if I have it) on their health, but I have just been made redundant, so can't justify an unnecessary procedure which will cost at least £150 and up to £500 if he needs extractions.
What do you all think? I certainly don't want Rolph in pain from manky teeth, but why "within the next month" and why not Clara?
Sally, with the foul-breathed bassets of Britain, Rolph and Clara
sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk