[Dailydrool] Chicken Jerky

Michele SZ via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Mar 12 12:27:28 PST 2016

I have been making my hounds chicken jerky for a little over 8 years. I buy family packs of chicken at SAMs for around $1.89 a pound.  I have an Excalibur dehydrator that I bought on line. I bought the refurbished one....$30-40 cheaper and came with a 10 year warranty vs a 1 year for a new one.  It is a square box shape with 8 or 9 trays. I can get a whole family pack of chicken in at once. Like Jennifer I dehydrate all kinds of treats for the hounds in it. Some recipes I got from Jennifer. The dehydrator was the best $250.00 that I have ever spent. I make chicken, version strips and beef liver jerky. I have dried beef heart too. I will also make fruit and veggie patties (mashed up - berries, Apple, pumpkin, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, broccoli, shredded carrot, spinach, kale etc, mix up and make into patties) sometimes I will add ground pork or chicken to it. I have also made straight zucchini, squash or sweet potato chips. The boys love all of it. The meat I usually do not season. The fruit or veggies I will season by adding 1 or more spices (cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, basil). The dehydrator that I have usually takes about 14-16hrs. I make the jerky around 3-5pm and put it on to dry overnight. I take it up next morning after feeding the hounds and cows breakfast, around 8-9am. Remember that depending on the humidity in your area will effect your dehydration times. By making the boys treats I save tons of money, plus even more heart ache and worry about weather the treats that I am giving them is crap made in China. I know what is in it, where it is from and how it is made. Peace of mind is priceless.
Michele Swartz momma to the very happy hounds, Ruger and Xander
wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com

Sent from my iPawPad