[Dailydrool] Not Happy. Unfair?

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu May 12 07:22:36 PDT 2016

​I am a retired Vet Tech without the official paperwork. But I did the same
job for umpty years and I know a little about dogs.
So I took Merta Lou to have her nails trimmed because they were talons and
that was one skill I never mastered on my own dogs.
And she, of course, was scared, very scared but being very good because she
is a good girl and the sweetest dog I have ever had.
And they took her in the back-- I LET them (and that will not happen again)
and came back 10 minutes later and I said to the tech who I had never seen
before
Was she ok?
Oyes we put a muzzle on her and she laid absolutely still. (She smiles.
wipe that smile off your face, sweetie...)
I say
You what?
(The receptionist who not only knows me but worked with me has stopped cold
and has a deer in the headlight look.)
We put a muzzle on her ---
Because she was growling?
Nooo
Because she lifted her lips?
uhhh noo (the smile is fading)
Because you thought she might be vicious?
I thought I thought she I thought she
Was fearful enough to attack you?
maybe
Did you try it without a muzzle first?
....no...
And I snatched the leash and walked away.
I decided to let her live another day and poor little Merta Lou who was
scared enough to start with and whose Mother failed her totally and
miserably slunk out the door with me, crept into her crate and is sleeping
the sleep of the traumatized.
Never let your  dogs out of your sight if you have a choice.  AND I KNOW
THIS!
I'm going now to eat glass and rub dirt in my hair.

MomPerson (not a very good one) to Merta Lou, Conley (who gets to wear a
muzzle when we do his nails) and Doc (who needs a strait jacket to have his
done.)