[Dailydrool] Merta Lou's muzzle

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu May 12 15:53:26 PDT 2016

Abner taught me something: Better to have a dog muzzled and not hurt a
vet or vet tech than not to use the muzzle. Really, a properly used
muzzle should not hurt the dog, especially one who is very good, like
Merta Lou.

I cannot say I was sorry that Abner probably bit the surgeon who worked
on his back (Abs got a vet and vet tech in the recovery time after a
not-very-adept surgery). Not only did that doc not do a particularly
good job, he was very proud, thinking Abs would never bite HIM! But
usually I am more compassionate about vets and techs and do not want
them to have to take time off because my dog bit them. After all, Abs
bit me three times before we found the solution to his problem, and at
no time was I hurting him when he bit.

The other thing is that bites can become an insurance issue for a vet's
office.

Do I enjoy having my dogs muzzled? No. But no one has been hurt when
they've been muzzled.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets