[Dailydrool] Foster failure, girls and boys

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun May 22 20:41:28 PDT 2016

Well, today we gave up trying to find a good home for Ipo. after eight weeks of sitting ten hours a week with her every weekend at Petco, two home visits, and one failed home try-out, Bill and I decided the market just wasn't hot for middle aged, bow-legged, scarred up, broken-toothed pitbull mixes who break out in hives when stressed. Lol. So, as of today, Ipo is officially part of our pack. she gets along well with the bassets, is very quiet, sweet natured, and no trouble at all (though a cat and chicken chaser).
Ipo's life has been rough. clearly at one time she was a hunting dog (probably a "grabber", the role for dogs who grab the boars' legs and hold them while the hunters move in to kill. THese dogs are often maimed, usually live in cages. she was picked up as a stray (either ran away, got lost, or was abandoned). LOoks like she has had many litters. she was adopted a year ago by the elderly couple where the wife either committed suicide or was murdered (mercy kiling) by her husband, and now she is with boring but loving old us. congratulations, Ipo.

On the girls vs. boys bassets, we have had two of each. SEems like each has had a unique personality. the only real gender difference I've noticed is that the boys peed way more (still marking outside even though neutered), whereas the girls pee once and are through. OUr girls are also more independent than the boys were, but then both of our boys were afflicted by separation anxiety and were total velcro dogs.

ALoha, Val, Mila, Mariah, and now Ipo vlbzwick at yahoo.com