[Dailydrool] Boys v. girls

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon May 23 14:16:31 PDT 2016

I evidently missed the first post on this subject, which is one I have
strong feelings about.

We have had seven bassets over the year and have fostered more (I have
not counted how many). Almost universally, the girl dogs are the pack
leaders. Only Alexis, who had been a lone hound in her previous home,
did not want to rule the pack. Jane and Holly were firmly in the
driver's seat from the time they entered the house (or in Jane's case,
as soon as Bel entered the house, making us a two-dog pack). Basset
girls are generally pretty sweet.

But the boys, who have grown up under a mama basset's paw, do not
attempt to do anything but love up the humans. They are the lovebugs of
bassetdom. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Adorable. Once they fall in love with
you, you are done for--you have to adopt them. That's how we got Horton,
whom I had determined would go elsewhere. I think he made Drew forget to
get me a Valentine's Day gift--the only time in more than twenty years
of marriage my husband forgot. Hort ended up being my gift.

Really, you cannot go wrong, no matter which gender you adopt. But the
girls are bossier.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets