[Dailydrool] Boys versus Girl bassets

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon May 23 14:07:14 PDT 2016

We have been owned by 8 dogs in the last 30 plus years.  Male rescued puppy
(Belgian/lab mix) was a gentle soul without an ounce of aggression and
lived a long life.  But, he was an "only" dog.  He loved the kids.  Then we
got 2 male Golden's (littermate puppies).  One was the alpha and the other
became the super alpha.  I was very careful letting them meet other dogs as
they could get aggressive.  All visiting dogs had to be greeted outside
before being allowed in the house.  One died at 12 so his brother was
lonely.
Enter our first female dog - a Basset, MacKenzie.  This little thing (15
lbs when we got her) took on the 130 lb. (looked like a blond St. Bernard)
golden super alpha.  He was totally at her beck and call.  Then we got a
male basset puppy.  He is a very mellow non aggressive boy and MacKenzie is
his boss.  When Cycso, the golden, died near his 15th birthday, both were
lonely for him.  So... we got another female, a 10 year old rescue.  She
was even bossier than MacKenzie.  We felt that 3 wasn't enough so decided
to get another puppy, male.  A year after Poppy passed, we were foster
failures to a younger female basset.

Bottom line - Boys rough house, but girls rule.