[Dailydrool] Dog staph skin infection

Meckler, Michael via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat May 14 20:10:03 PDT 2016

Skin infections are not uncommon in dogs with lots of skin who are low to the ground. And it may take a couple of rounds of antibiotics to clear. And, just as in humans with bacterial infections, the initial antibiotic may not be effective, requiring a shift to a second or even third antibiotic.

During treatment, the dog may have digestive issues. Appropriate probiotics may help‎.

So there's generally no quick resolution. And, as with humans, dogs need to complete the course of antibiotics even after the infection appears healed to ensure that all of the offending bacteria are eliminated. But my experience, at least, has been successful in clearing up these infections in my hounds.

‎