[Dailydrool] Needing mentor

Riche Churchill via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Oct 7 21:53:40 PDT 2016

This will sound harsh, but is something I feel very strongly about. The
"breeder" who recently emigrated to Hawaii does not need a mentor, she
needs to not do any further breeding.
Neither the poster nor the person herself may believe it so, but she is
simply what is called a "backyard breeder," which is not too much of a
step up from a puppy mill. Other than a strong desire to One-Time-Only
produce a puppy from a much-loved female, which could be forgiven, there
is no other reason for this person, in particular, given where she now
lives, to ever breed again.
The only respectable reason for breeding is when the person is
attempting to improve the breed. This means presenting the offspring at
dog shows and also means that the mommy had better be a pretty good
specimen herself. The purpose of dog shows is to reveal whether you ARE
improving (and yes, I know there are "bad" show people).
No one who lives in Hawaii can reasonably expect to learn anything by
showing, simply because there are too few shows there and no Basset
entries for years.
The lack of English for this person is no excuse. There are numerous
high-quality Basset breeders in Europe. There is the internet and our
good friend Google. There are books and publications in all languages.
To lose an entire litter out of sheer ignorance is inexcusable to me.
I hope a mentor is found if she insists on continuing, but I hope she
won't continue. If she does, just think... soon there will be a few
others with a bitch they may breed (to whom? you might ask) and produce
some more Pet Bassets who will then..... it just doesn't bear thinking
about.
Riche
Pub-Ed The Bugler