[Dailydrool] Breeding

Moon Doggie Donna via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Oct 8 13:27:22 PDT 2016

This is a tough subject. My personal feeling is to leave breeding to the
experts - the ones who show, the ones who attempt to improve the breed, the
ones who spend more money rather than making money when they do breed, the
ones who will get to know the family buying one of their pups and if
necessary, will take it back no matter how old it is.

That being said, there are many others who do not feel this way. They think
(actually, they know) it is their right to breed any dog they own whether
it be for profit or not. To get on the moral bandwagon and try to convince
these people how wrong it is does not work. In fact, people become more
defensive and think we are one of those 'nutty' people who are elitists. I
see this all the time on the Daily Drool Members Facebook group. It ends up
causing horrible arguments which lead to people getting flamed and banned
from the group.

These people are going to breed anyway. Remember, it is their right no
matter how wrong a lot of us think it may be. They are not aware of what
becomes of their puppies once they go to strangers. They also have no idea
of the heartbreak when a bitch goes into labor and has trouble delivering.
These people think the puppies pop out by themselves. They will never know
the recent stories of the woman in Hawaii who lost her female and 12
puppies or the massive heartbreak of Eveliza Bergamo in Brazil who just
lost her Daisy Mae and her 8 puppies due to the neglect of the emergency
vet who did nothing while Daisy Mae was in distress.

I am starting to think that instead of trying to convince these people not
to breed, we need to educate them on the pros and cons of breeding. Maybe
recommend having a member of BHCA mentor them BEFORE they breed. When they
see how expensive, miserable & especially heartbreaking breeding can really
be, maybe then they will think twice. Until the laws change from dogs being
nothing more than property, this is all I can hope for.

Donna Funk