[Dailydrool] Da big adventure

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Oct 9 17:16:52 PDT 2016

We had a big scare today.  Mulligan thinks it was a big adventure.  We live in Southport NC, near the Cape Fear River (it's a ways back behind the house).  Most of Saturday the Weather Channel was showing Southport - and this is not the place you want to be featured.  We had huge tidal surge, increased by very heavy rains up river.  The river went way over its banks, taking out our neighborhood piers and damaging a lot on the waterfront area.  This evening, with the weather just beautiful and very cool, we took the 4 hounds for a "beach walk", down the street onto the beach.  Except the beach was much wider than it used to be and with lots of marsh grass and other "stuff" washed up on shore.  This stuff smelled "nice".   We usually let the dogs off leash and they run and play on the beach - often using Guinness as their "beach ball".  They are very good about staying with us.  Today, Mulligan discovered new smells.  In the blink of an eye she was up over the marsh grass and into the "swamp".  It really is just a very big marsh area, where alligators are known to live.  Getting a human through the brush to enter this marsh is not possible. It's possible from the dock, but waders are required.  Our neighbor was on his (damaged) pier and went back to the house to grab his waders.  The DH continued searching while I held the other 3 on leash - - all wanting to join in the fun.  I'm sure Mulligan heard us calling her name and was quite happy to be so popular, however, responding by barking is just not her style.

Several mosquito bites and lots of terrible thoughts later, our neighbor, Bob, yelled out that he had her.  I walked around the marsh area to his pier, climbed the broken steps, and caught up to Bob.  He was walking in the marsh with Mulligan happily following him, while leaping over the various logs and plant life.  I convinced her to get up the broken steps and put her leash back on.  She had quite the "smile" on her face and quite the swagger in her walk, to say nothing of quite a lot of muck and mud on her legs and belly.  When we caught up to the others they wanted to hear all about it, but she wasn't telling.  DH ran back home to get the car.  They had all had enough excitement.  She is currently sleeping on the kitchen floor next to me.

Julie Canny (Julie.a.canny at gmail.com)

PS.  Guinness is now back to normal and we have no idea which medication or treatment caused the improvement.  His final Addison's test was negative (his brother's was positive.).

Sent from my iPad