[Dailydrool] Titers

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Oct 21 02:33:27 PDT 2016

Doing Titers is an option that allows you to not vaccinate a dog who has
full immunity to a disease, for example, Distemper.

The feeling now is that early vaccines often confer years of immunity on a
dog and that vaccinating every year is not only unnecessary but not good
for the dog, so the Vet draws a sample of blood and sends it out to be read.
If it turns out that the dog already has sufficient antibodies to prevent
that illness, then vaccinating is not required.

The one vaccine that continues to be constant is the Rabies vaccine because
that is dictated by law. It is possible to obtain a letter from a
Veterinarian releasing a dog from that as well if (for instance) the dog
has a life-threatening allergic response to it.

There are some disadvantages to titers but I am not sure that my personal
objection to them is valid so check with your Veterinarian about the
protocol.

MomPerson to Conley, MertaLou & Doc

bgszap2 at gmail.com