[Dailydrool] Splenectomy Experience

Nancy Kay via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Oct 22 15:32:26 PDT 2016

Our sweet Tina wasn't eating, not a good sign in a basset, so we took her to the vet. Dr. Davis put her hands around Tina's waist and pushed her hands toward each other. Her fingertips were nowhere close to meeting near Tina's belly button, so Dr Davis knew there was a mass in Tina's belly.

They removed Tina's spleen, along with a 2-lb tumor, and as your vet suggested, Tina lived for 6 more weeks before the cancer that had already spread took over. They were 6 good weeks, she played with Charlie, ate well, felt good. I would do the surgery again on another dog, and hope that they fell into the skimpy 6-7% where the surgery solves the problem. As is the case with many cancers, hemangiosarcoma is usually found too late to do much about it, except preventing the dog from bleeding out.

Wishing for the best for you,

Nancy, now owned by Charlie and Paige
nancykay9 at gmail.com