[Dailydrool] This and That

Dossey, Gwen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Apr 18 05:03:01 PDT 2017

Hello fellow droolers!

I must admit that I have been a lurker for some time.  I occasionally chime in, or send a message directly to the writer (if they put their email address with their post), but not as much as I used to when the girls were younger.

I was trying to think of when I first found the DD and I want to say it was 2003 or 2004 - right after we adopted Sadie Jean (atb).  Thanks to the DD I knew what bloat was and I went right to the archives and pulled up the article when I got the call from home at 3am saying that something was wrong with Sadie!  I don't know how I knew to pull up that article because he didn't tell me much, but somehow I just *knew* that's what it was!  I also got the recipe to remove skunk smell off of dogs which came in super handy when my sister's dog got sprayed 3 nights in a row!  On the 3rd night, she yelled out the window - "Damnit, Demi - that is NOT a cat! Leave it alone!"... somehow the stinky cat never came back after that (or Demi finally had enough and called uncle!)! :)  Anyways, I LOVE the DD and although I let work get in the way and I don't always keep up, I do love reading about all the hounds!

For Parker of Kansas, may we suggest a martingale collar?  We love them at our house because it slips over their head and is all loose and not tight, but as soon as they pull back to get out, it tightens up to where it will not pull over the ears!!  Teddi never wore anything else!!

Dexter - you are super brave to want to fight bears!  Our mountain house is sure to have some, but we haven't been up there enough to know for sure (we assume there are).  There are lots of deer up there!  By the time we move up there full time (2019?) we hope to know a lot more about our furry neighbors (since we can't see any 2-leggers)!!  My mom lives down in Oakhurst just south of Yosemite, and the place she had 2 houses ago had a bear that would come through the neighborhood.  His name was Bob and he was a BIG boy!  Everyone knew to call each other and keep the pets, food & garbage in (just in case)!!

For those that have hounds that are weak in the back end, in November of 2015, both Teddi (atb) and Madden started showing signs of being weak, where they were having trouble getting up after lying down and couldn't hop through the doggie door like they used to.  I thought the end was coming for both of them since they were 12 & 13 at the time, but my friend told me that a holistic vet had told him about giving Yucca Root Powder to his aging basset and it helped Clyde a LOT!  He had some left over after Clyde passed and he gave it to us to try.  You're supposed to put 1/8-1/4 teaspoons (we use 1/4) in with their dinner every night and after a couple of weeks, I could really see the difference!  I now put it in their dinners at least 3 or 4 times a week and I even give it to Sasha because she jumps so much that maybe she won't go weak in the back at all when she gets older (plus, she & Madden generally swap dishes halfway through dinner, so she was going to eat it anyways!)!!

Hound tricks - Sasha doesn't know tricks per say, but she does know that when I say "Oops, I dropped something" that she is to come running from wherever she is to vacuum it up, and when I say "we'll be right back", she knows that she is going with me to wherever it is we're going!  She is the barkiest dog we've ever had!  If you leave the room and come back, she barks her greeting!  When you've been gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, it doesn't matter - you get the bark, bark, bark... until  you go nuts!  Quiet, No Bark, Stop or any of the traditional sayings don't work on her!  The only thing that I found to shut her up is to tell her to F-off!!  I swear and she stops!  Crazy, huh?!?!?  She also barks like crazy when I go to put her harness on her, but lately we've tried not to wake the others (Teddi (atb) and Madden), so I've been putting my finger to my mouth and saying Shhhh.... And that seems to be working!  Maybe the UPS man finally brought her big girl brains?!?!?  It's too soon to tell...

We want to sling healing drool to Jackie, Nigel, Colette, Conley and anyone else that may need it and welcome to Parker, Rowdy & Rukus!  We will try to post more often, but it's a little slow at our house since I haven't been able to go for our 2-mile walks since my knees started acting up, then my back injury and now the sciatica in both sides!  I feel like I'm 90 from the waist down!  But anyways, we will try to post more!  If you want to see pictures of my girls, friend me on FB... Gwen Daly Dossey...

gdossey at te.com<mailto:gdossey at te.com>
~Gwen, Madden & Sasha~ (:>
(o_
// \
V_/_ <=penguin
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.