[Dailydrool] Update on Martin Bassets

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Aug 11 07:06:09 PDT 2017

First we would like to offer our condolences for the passing of Brother
Bob. The mom is sending heart healing prayers and the bassets are sending
heart healing drool.

On Wednesday everyone went to the vet to get their booster flu shot. There
have been so many cases in GA, that my vet is now requiring it to board
starting September 1st. Hubby and I are going to Disney World the last week
of August and into the Labor Day weekend. So, I figured I better just get
it done.

While we were there, the vet looked at Beauford's abscess. It has now
turned into a sebascious gland gone crazy. So, I am supposed to put warm
compresses on it 2-3 times a day and drain it for 6 weeks. If it isn't gone
by then, we may have to consider removing it surgically. Why does this
always happen to the one that is most willing to comply?! Bugsey would
think he had died and gone to heaven if he got to lay in my lap 2-3 times a
day with a compress on his neck. I don't think he would enjoy having it
drained, but he wouldn't really care either. I am not sure Browyn could lay
still for 10-15 minutes at a stretch, but we would come close. Then there
is Beauford. He sees me with the warm rag and he is off and running. If I
am lucky, I can get it done for about 2-3 minutes once a day. I grab him
and drain it when he gets his medicine, but so much more comes out when you
have applied the warm compress. Oh well. I am doing the best I can. Really
I am, and the vet understands that. He has some characters of his own.

Both boys are having trouble with contact dermatitis on their feet. So, I
need to set up the decontamination station again. I need a new trash can
with a lid so Bugsey doesn't steal the wet wipes after I have cleaned all 8
paws when they come in and out. Hopefully this will help with all the
licking and chewing of the paws. I was afraid we were going to have to
retest Beauford for allergies, so this is a much cheaper route.

Hubby is going to try to wrap another layer of chicken wire around the
garden. I am not really sure how that is really going to help, but power to
him. I haven't had a strawberry out of the garden yet! Fortunately there
are enough tomatoes to go around. Beauford ate the squash vines this year.
So I will be buying that!

Browyn is doing great. Her hot spot is healed. While she is getting in the
garden, she is delicately climbing in the tomato bed and eating the
tomatoes that fall on the ground. While she still gets in trouble for this,
I really don't mind. She is not destructive like Beauford!

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess