[Dailydrool] two carnivores, one omnivore; escape skills

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Aug 11 13:30:10 PDT 2017

In our household, both bassets spit out any fruits or vegetables, nuts, or bread products (unless they are cookies or cake).  Meat and dairy, please.  The mixed breed pit is a different story entirely.  Anything goes down the hatch.  Ipo  harvests and devours all the low hanging avocados and mangoes, carefully nibbling around the seeds.

Ipo has also developed some clever demolition skills lately.  WE have a carport wall on one side of the yard which is made of evenly spaced boards which stop about six inches before the ground.  Our fence stops at the edge of the carport, which essentially completes the fence to the house.    To keep in tiny dogs who occasionally visit us, we covered the bottom six inches of open space under the carport "wall" with lattice and also piled stones next to the lattice on both sides. the stones are between the size of cantaloupes and small watermelons. this week Ipo discovered she could roll those stones out of the way by hooking her paws over them and drawing them towards her body. Especially large ones she would dig next to and then roll the stone into the newly made trench.  Then with her teeth she would tear up the lattice.  Next she would push her head under the space and bulldoze the stones outside a little onto the driveway.  Fourth step--dig a bit under the wall, and then presto, she could squeeze under the wall to freedom, pushing the remaining rocks ahead of her with her head, using the power of her back legs to add leverage. Then marauding time in the neighborhood.  Whee.  Today I am replacing the wooden lattice with wire grating.  I am just thankful that she is not a climber (yet) or I know she'd be up the plumeria tree and over the fence.  That is probably next.

Val of Hawaii with Mila and Mariah Basset and Ipo Notabasset