[Dailydrool] vestibular

lois.leader lois.leader via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Aug 19 20:22:22 PDT 2017

Hi, Karen. I'm sorry to hear Amelia is having a bout of vestibular, but there are ways to get through it. Our Scout's appetite was poor for a good three weeks after her initial diagnosis. We hand fed her for over a week, then offered her whatever she wanted when she wanted it. Slowly, she went back to her regular eating habits, although she never ate quite as much as before. She did keep her head tilt and was always slightly off-balance afterward. She went from literally not being able to stand at all to being able to amble about the house a bit lopsidedly, and we were happy with that. Some days she was more "tippy" than others and on those days she would get a few doses of Meclizine.

Like you, we thought she had had a stroke, and we were so scared! It was a relief to know it was something else, even though we learned recovery would be a long haul. It's a good idea to rearrange your house so that there aren't too many objects that she has to navigate around. We gave Scout a clear path through every room. We also put her bowls up on one of those bowl stands and it made it easier for her to eat.

Our pack will be slinging healing droll Amelia's way. Take care.

Lois Leader with Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobby the House Elf

lois.leader at cox.net