[Dailydrool] Lymphoma and Essiac tea

Michele SZ wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 11:07:15 PST 2017

Hi Vikki, sorry this is late in coming but I am severely behind on reading my drools. My Colt ATB had Lymphoma, we tried chemo...the first medication (one that was supposed to be gentler on the stomach) made him severely sick. So we switched chemo medications and the second one worked well. No sickness afterwards but it was expensive and had to drive an hour to the oncologist vet to get it every 3 or 4 weeks. But I had my happy boy back for a time. Once that medication quit working, we decided to call off chemo went to Prednisone and antibiotics to keep him comfortable until his body just couldn’t fight anymore...when he become lethargic and refused to eat his favorite foods and treats we took him into the vet to help him gently cross over the Rainbow Bridge. During all of this I also supplemented his cancer treatment with Essiac Tea, changed his diet to a higher protein kibble, adding boiled chicken, chopped frozen kale, vitamins B-12, C, E, fish oil, turmeric to his meals.  He was diagnosed with Lymphoma in early September of 2013 and crossed over Jun 2014 just before Father’s Day.  I had another basset a few years before with Lymphoma, we went with Prednisone and antibiotics, because he hated going to the vet and being left. Colt loved people, loved the vet...so the dogs personality played a huge part in our treatment decision. Lymphoma is a horrible disease for dogs. The average lifespan after diagnosis with almost any of the treatments is 7-12 months. As a vet tech and dog lover I have seen the spectrum; Some die shortly have diagnoses, to some living 4 or 5 years. But the majority succumb within 7-12 months no matter what treatment is giving. Personality of the dog needs to be considered when making treatment decisions. After all it is about them, and keeping them as happy and healthy as possible. If the dog hates to ride in cars or hates going to the vet, then I would opt for home herbal treatments or the Prednisone antibiotic, or the Elvis treatment of turmeric, antibiotic cycling. If the dog likes the vet then consider chemo, or the Daphnyland cancer protocol of Vit C IV therapy. You also have to consider your finances too...because 99% of the time you are literally just buying them a few extra months of life. Number one consideration to Keep in mind is quality of life for the dog! I hope this helps. Again sorry that I did not get it out sooner. I understand the devastation of the diagnosis, and the panic and anxiety to try to find help and to make the right treatment decision for your precious fur baby. Much love and healing drool to your sweet girl. Contact me if you have more questions.
Michele Swartz momma to Colt ATB, Ruger ATB, Seth and Xander.
wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Sent from my iPawPad