[Dailydrool] My First Basset

JACQIE MARVICH via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Feb 22 13:08:38 PST 2017

My first basset hound was a big red and white male named “Barney – What else would you name a basset? He was advertised in the local newspaper because he was too lonely at home all day by himself while his Momma was at work. I asked her if I could come meet Barney because I had two little boys ( ages 2 & 4) and had been told that basset hounds were good with children but I had never met one. She agreed to my visit and told me that she would know if I were the right person for him. Barney would let her know. When I arrived she took me into her living room and asked me to sit on her sofa. She ask all sorts of questions about my family, my two young sons, our experience with dogs and so on. No Barney in sight. Then she got up and opened the door to the kitchen and let him into the room. He looked around and saw me sitting there on the sofa. He came over and sniffed me up one side and down the other than sat there staring at me as I was petting him. We continued to talk about our families and suddenly Barney got up and jumped up on the sofa next to me. He put his head on my shoulder and whimpered softly into my ear. His owner said he only does that if he really likes you then she asked me if I’d like to take him home for a few days to see how he liked the boys and they him. So Barney became my family’s first basset hound.  Barney was a big  boy. LONG and chunky, huge feet, long ears and a very sweet personality. He definitely prefer some people and not others but he loved us and we loved him. We’ve been owned by basset hounds ever since Barney came into our lives. My sons are now ages 46 and 48 and have their own families. No basset hounds but they do have dogs and love critters.

Jacqie Marvich and the Lowdown Senior Hounds of Oakrydge.
oakrydgebh7 at msn.com