[Dailydrool] First Basset and vets

Nancy Candray via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Feb 22 21:53:13 PST 2017

Virginia - how very exciting to get basset on your very own. There is something special to have your own first dog. Like a right of passage.

No I didn't have money pouring out of my pocket for vet bills, but with a little creative money budgeting I managed to always make sure I had enough to cover for bi-annual check ups and dentals (Speedy had awfully bad teeth) I used Banfield for many years because I liked the vet and the wellness plan. After a few years the vet I liked stop working there and I was very unsatisfied. I stupidly stayed with them a little longer than I should have.  Emergencies were a little tougher but luckily, both Rambo and Speedy had been in general good health and when they did occur, it was always when I had just enough saved for something special that went to the vet instead. Money well spent IMO.

Now I think I found a private vet that truly cares about pets and she offers a wellness plan too.  It took me a while to find her; I just kept trolling yelp and suggestions on the app Nextdoor.  Sometimes neighbors have really good suggestions too if you happen to live in a dog friendly neighborhood/city.

Nancy with Duncan and Rambo the Shar Pei