[Dailydrool] first basset

wen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Feb 26 04:22:17 PST 2017

Hi all,

I have had beagles all my life, since I was 12 and one was given to my
sister and me for our birthday.my sis is my twin.

Although given to both of us, Penny became mine very fast.

Fast forward to 1999.  Pat was in the panhandle completing an internship and
my neighbor called me to ask if I wanted a basset she had found in my yard.
I said no, thanks,  I had 1 dog, that was enough.  We chatted more and I
found out this gal was being called Lucy and she was so fat, it was pretty
logical, she was dumped as her wandering very far was beyond her energy
level.    My neighbor had 2 schnauzers, so we talked some about hound
traits, and I wished her well with finding the owner.

3 days later, after avoiding my neighbor and her invitations to come see
Lucy, I called her back, realizing she would know nothing about a hound
personality, and how difficult they can be.  I went over to see Lucy and as
soon as I did, in my heart, I knew she would come live with us.  And I knew
her name was not Lucy.   Her eyes said my name is Bess.  It was that clear
to me.  SO Bess moved across the street and had a beagle sister, Brookie,
and 2 cats to live with.

'Bess left us in 2003 from hemangio sarcoma.  She taught me about bloat,
after bloating on water the first time.  I watched her sit and the water
started come back out of her mouth, just from the pressure of the belly(did
not twist that time and I did not know what was going on)   the second time
we were in Atlanta for our first BHRG BASH and she gorged on some dog food
she found where we were staying and ended up at the ER having surgery as her
stomach did twist.  3 more times after that she bloated,  but the tack held.

We sure do miss that girl,  she would get so excited over food that she
would spin her whole body, and Dawg bless you if you were in the way when
her back end caught up with her front end on that spin, she could take your
knee out.

And I am so grateful she got to us and opened up a whole new world of
friends and community.

Wen and the Bounders

houndsabound at cfl.rr.com <mailto:houndsabound at cfl.rr.com>