[Dailydrool] Non Basset People

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jan 14 15:27:57 PST 2017

​The discussion about harnesses has made me think about things that Bassets
do that other dogs don't do and I have to try to explain it to a non-Basset
person, Flat Basset being the number one item. I don't have dogs who go
Flat Basset, but one time Mitchell decided to explore a varmint hole when
we were walking with a Belgian friend. He jammed his nose deep in the hole
and knelt down and refused to move. His weight worked against me: when I
pulled he just leaned into the hole a bit more. And he had a martingale
collar on. My friend could not believe it. She thought I was being silly.

Then one day at training I had sprained my ankle and asked her, my friend
who had nothing but light-footed Belgians, to take Mitchell in for me
because we had a show coming and I wanted him as sharp as possible. She
took him around twice and came out of the ring and said she couldn't do it,
that it was like trying to gait a Mack Truck.

So to all of you who show or work with your Bassets in any venue, know that
you have the admiration of anyone who has tried to work a Basset who is
used to another breed.
You never see an Irish Setter go flat, do you?

MomPerson to Conley, MertaLou, and Doc

bgszap2 at gmail.com