[Dailydrool] Allergies and Laser therapy-two different hounds

melissa gibson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Jan 17 07:12:19 PST 2017

Hey Droolers,
I have two different hound dilemma's for you. One is Susie my Beagle mix I adopted from my animal control a few months ago. She has undefined allergies, she scrathces constantly and chews her paws and her genital area, non-stop. The underside of her neck has no hair and is thick skin from the scratching, she came to me this way but it has gotten worse. They tried hit or miss medications at the shelter prednisone, cyclosporin. She is on food for food/skin allergies. We tried Apoquel and it was a huge fail, had no effect what so ever. My vet was shocked, then he gave her some kind of steriod shot that lasts a month and said it would start working in 4 hours, that was Friday, she is still itching and miserable. I know a lot of droolers have hounds with allergy issues any advice. Also can you recommend a good medicated shampoo. I have about 15 Apoquel left if anybody wants them.
Second is my beloved Abe, a 13 year old grumpy Basset, love of my life. He has ivdd and has less and less use of his back legs. He had a really bad episode in May and I put him on crate rest for 6 weeks. He is on tramadol, gabapentin and previcox. The vet says he is maxed out on drugs. The last few weeks he got really bad again, just shaking in pain and all hunched up.Sometimes he can walk sometimes he drags his back end. He is crated during the day and pretty stationary at night. He still has control of his bowels.I am making him use pee pads in the house because we have 5 super steep steps going out to the yard. Soon moving to a house with no steps. I really thought I was going to lose him a few weeks ago but he has rallied once again. No shaking, acting obnoxious like his old self, better mobility. I am hopefully that we will have some more quality time together. Has anyone tried or had any success with laser therapy? My vet doesn't do it but there are some in the area I may try. Also looking into wheelchair/cart.
Any and all advice from the wise drool community appreciated!

MelissaAbe,Buster the basset boysSusie, Tinker the beagle girls