[Dailydrool] Basset allergies...

Vikki Grauf via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Jan 17 21:17:17 PST 2017

Dearest Melissa and itchy houndsMany years ago, my beautiful Sophie had allergy issues from hell. Day and night, night and day, itch itch itch, bite bite bite, scratch scratch scratch.Life was a misery for man and beast at our house, and it went on for about 2 years.My last basset crew (ATB) also had allergies, but after I changed them to a specific brand of dog food, all their allergies cleared right up. So when I got Sophie, I naturally bought this same brand. I could tell from previous experience, she was suffering horrible allergies, and I didn't understand it, this brand was the savior of my other bassets. Then I found out the company sold out to, and was now owned by a candy company. (sheesh) I tried dog food after dog food, some extremely expensive, with no improvement, and sometimes matters got even worse. Then a miracle happened. I met Dawn of the West, (CEO of Daphneyland) who recommended a SPECIFIC lab for blood test for broad spectrum allergies. I had an in house test ran at a vet, but it was totally worthless. It didn't even have an area for food allergies, just grass and feathers.(worthless) after I got the correct test ran, what came to light was nothing less than amazing. For example, it turned out she was allergic to carrots. And here I was giving her a couple carrots a day, as a "healthy" snack. The name of the lab was called Spectrum Labs (ok, I'm reasonably certain on this one, but it was many years ago). The vet had to order some kind of something to ship it in, and started giving me lip over it, complaining about the price. I held to my guns, and they finally did do it. It's hands down the best thing I have ever done for the dogs, money well spent. Then, I decided to have the other hound tested, even though he was not exhibiting any kind of allergic reactions, but just thought it was the right thing to do. Even though they are both bassets, they were allergic to different things!?! So weird. Every dog food on the market has things both bassets are allergic too, so they eat hand made food. Cooking their food is a bit of extra work, but that's ok, I don't mind. And it really doesn't cost any more than junk dog food, which uses all kinds of rotten materials not fit for consumption. They look great, bright eyed and bushy tail (yes, that is the description of a squirrel) but everyone who meets them can not believe their ages, and they act like young pups, full of zip and energy. They need no medications of any kind, with the exception of heart worm tabs.  So that's our story, hope it helps, kindest regards, Vikki