[Dailydrool] I hear you

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Jul 4 23:49:15 PDT 2017

I hear you.  Not only are fireworks legal here, they are celebrated.  and a part of the local culture, especially at New Year's, due to the majority Asian population in the islands.  Fireworks are more a problem at New Year's than July 4, though, since a lot of folks here still don't really consider themselves part of the USA, and there is less celebration as a result. In fact, the kingdom of Hawaii was originally illegally overthrown by American plantation owners with assistance from marines on July 4 in the late 1800's.  Yes, there was a vote for statehood in the fifties which passed, but  there remain many advocates for sovereignty, so July 4 celebrations are somewhat restrained--but still probably vigorous by mainland standards.

 My dogs and I hate the fireworks.  sigh.  At the moment we are holed up together in a small bedroom with the windows and door shut, the fan on high. Ipo is freaked out and panting but Mila and Mariah are sleeping.

This beats by a long shot when my basset crew was the late Bo and Harley, to whom I needed to read books or sing, loudly, nonstop, for hours, in totally sealed rooms with a fan on high, (plus the hound were sedated with vet prescribed tranquilizers) until the wee hours of the morning on fireworks holidays. At least with Mariah, Milo, and Ipo, I can read my book silently.

Val