[Dailydrool] pack consolidation

lois.leader lois.leader via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jul 29 20:40:56 PDT 2017

When Bobo first joined us way back in 2002, we already had an Aussie Cattle Dog/Lab mix named Misty in residence. Bobo was an 8 month old puppy. Misty was a 6 year old grande dame who found nothing in the floppy eared, out of control, stubby legged package to tolerate. They never warmed to each other and would fight if not supervised.

Soon after Bobo arrived, we were gifted with a 6 week old yellow Lab puppy, Scout. We were worried about the pack dynamics, given the uneasy truce that we had to enforce between Bobo and Misty. But Misty took on the role of mama dog to Scout and Bobo became a loving and protective big brother. He bonded with Scout immediately and they became inseparable. The addition of Scout eased the tension between Bobo and Misty as well. I can’t say I understand it.

Dobby the House Elf arrived when Bobo and Scout were still with us. They were elderly by this time, though. And I don’t think they really viewed Dobby as a true dog. He is a Chihuahua mix, so small. I think life was rather boring for our Dobs. Dogs in the middle of their second decade spend a lot of time sleeping.

After Scout joined her beloved Bobo at the Bridge, Dobby was an only dog for a short period. Then Emma the Aussie Basset Dog came into the mix. And, once again, I witnessed two dogs almost immediately bonding. I am not sure how or why, especially considering how nervous Emma can be after a frightening period of wandering the streets and being at the pound. But they have done a world of good for each other. Dobby has become sprightly and Emma is coming out of her shell. Sometimes the chemistry just works. And it’s so much fun when it does!

Lois Leader with Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobby the House Elf