[Dailydrool] Loading Bassets in/out of the BUV

Lisa Metzler via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jun 8 18:48:46 PDT 2017

One of the very first things I learned from the Droolers loooong ago was that Bassets have long backs that can be damaged by jumping on/off things, so I invested in a ramp to use on my Ford Windstar.  I got it from Dogramps.com, and it was a heavy molded plastic with carpeted walking surface.  It was lightweight (I could actually manage it with one hand) and very sturdy.  My only issue was it was a bit short at 5' long, which made loading into the rear of the vehicle a bit steep. But using a harness as a "handle" to guide the dog and assist them up the ramp was not a problem.  Alas, after about 12 years of faithful service, the molded "lip" that was the anchor to the top end when placed on the vehicle finally broke, rendering the ramp a bit hard to use (I'm going to see if I can get someone to apply some angle brackets on it to repair it).

So, I after searching alllllll over the place, both internet and physical stores (I wanted to actually see/touch the item before purchase), I purchased one of the Solvit telescoping ramps.  It's made out of aluminum, slides easily to adjust for length and can be done so the incline is not quite so steep.  I like it, but it is somewhat heavier and not as easily managed, requiring both hands to manage it.  The entire walking surface is non-skid, but very rough--much like heavy grit sandpaper.  It does have a pair of snap "locks" on it to keep it together when not telescoped.  Mine lives in the back of my Honda van 99%  of the time (third row of sheets rolled into the floor), so it is handy.  It will support a 250-300 pound critter, so I guess if I ever get a mini horse or small elephant I'm covered.

I physically can't lift my "kids" into the car--my own back won't take it.  Addie, at 9 years old and 90 pounds, isn't agile enough anymore to jump like her former baby kangaroo self, and even little Ariel (also 9) at 42 pounds is just not a jumper. Middle kids Madison, Annie-the-Energizer-Bagel, and Rocky Hound are all between 5 and 7 years old and weigh in the 50-60 pound range. The ramp is the best answer for us.  I feel it's a lot safer for them to walk the ramp in and out of the BUV.

Lisa Metzler
Addie, Annie, Ariel, Madison, and Rocky

Sent from my iPhone