[Dailydrool] Best $$ Ever Spent

Dossey, Gwen via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Jun 13 09:32:33 PDT 2017

I have a couple of things that I consider the best money I've ever spent on the dogs...

The first was our BUV - we went to the car show and tried out all of the vans and SUV's to see which one(s) had the best backs for the hounds.  In 2004 there were only 2 - the Saturn Vue and the Chevy Trailblazer!  No other vehicle laid down perfectly flat in the back.  We went with the Trailblazer and the back seats have been up less then 10x in the 13 years that we've had it!  We filled the back with dog beds and blanket and the dog ramp and it there is room for 6 bassets at least (that's how many we've had back there!)!  For a while we had a gate to keep the dogs in the back and not let them help drive, but we took it out once and never put it back since they were getting older and knew not to come up front.  Sasha however, never had it and does not know that her place is in the back!  She thinks she's the co-pilot so she NEEDS to be in front!! :)

The second is the dog door!  I always hated when I hated to work late or we were out late and couldn't get home to let the girls out, but as soon as we got the doggy door, they no longer had to wake me up to go outside and I didn't have to rush home!!

The third was the ramps!  The first ramp we bought was so the girls could get in and out of the bed without a boost from us!  Working nights, this came in handy quite a few times as I would go in to bed and before the ramp, would get woken up with a woof to lift her up!  And then Tatum would usually try to steal my spot since I was up!  I believe we got it from In The Company of Dogs, so it wasn't exactly cheap, but we still have it 28 years later!

The other ramp is the one for the BUV!  When we first bought the "dogs truck", my step-dad made us one.  It weighed 1/2 a ton, but it was sturdy and slid right into the trailer hitch so it wouldn't fall as they were walking up and down.  The bad thing, besides the weight, was that it didn't fold and took up the a good section of the back.  I found the one that we have at PetSmart.  It folds in half, I can grab it and fling it open with 1 hand if needed and it has ridges or treads inside to keep the dogs from slipping!

The last thing that I bought is the fleece jackets for the girls!  Now that Madden is getting up there in age (15-1/2) she gets really cold in the winter, so she wears one 24/7 in the cold months (good thing we don't live where it snows!)!!
~Gwen, Madden & Sasha~ (:>
(o_
// \
V_/_ <=penguin

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.