[Dailydrool] Browser losing weight

Sally Russell via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Sep 1 16:44:01 PDT 2017

Ann,

Thanks for the story about Lacy.  Browser is eating really well:  2 meals a
day plus some Royal Canin mid day.  His poops are normal.

We will be bringing him back for another check-up of his weight.  He is
actually much calmer on the Anipryl but in researching the med, he does not
have any of the possible side effects.  The pacing and panting behavior has
stopped and he is more alert but much calmer than before this med.

It may be that while he was only on the Orijen dry food (which we had to
stop because of sore gums) and the wellness, he maintained his weight.  The
Royal Canin gastro has kept his pancreatic enzymes normal but his weight
has gone done a little.  We do have to be wary of pancreatitis so only give
him canned food now.

Our vet will not put him under anesthesia for teeth cleaning and instead,
puts him on antibiotics for his gums and teeth every 3-4 months to prevent
infections.

It is tricky with the over 14 year olds but our vet is very careful and
concerned.  He has been our vet for several years and we trust his
judgement.  I do know that older dogs tend to lose some weight.

I appreciate your email and we are watching Browser closely.

Sally