[Dailydrool] well-adjusted family dogs

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Sep 16 17:05:06 PDT 2017

I currently live with three fairly well adjusted family dogs, all rehomes from one circumstance or another.  The two bassets are especially stable characters, all things considered--much much more so than their predecessors, Commander Bo and Harley had been, both of the former having had separation from humans anxiety.  These two bassets don't. The pit mix is somewhat fearful still of specific situations ( large men,or spaces which don't offer an easy escape,or anyone reaching for her--she is a formerly abused rescue--but she is totally bonded to the basset troop even more than to my husband and me, and I think all she really needs is the bassets, our/ her home, her food, and a friendly caretaker or two). WHen my husband and I needed to leave the three at a kennel overnight once this month during a family reunion (all three shared a large space and yard), the dogs were displeased and were ecstatic to see us at the kennel the next morning and to return to their own home.  I now realize the "their own home" was the key part of that sentence. Once home, all was returned to wellness.

Anyway, this time I was away for two days on business while my husband and the dogs were home. I returned early today while Bill was still at work and expected a joyous welcome back from the canine pack. Instead, I got a friendly wag and a casual "Oh, hi mom, you're home again"  greeting.

 I realized that so long as the three dogs are together in their/our home we all share (but they consider theirs), and food and walkies are available on schedule, they are basically perfectly happy.  (Bill phoned me last night to say the dogs were all sleeping peacefully together on my bed--the only vacant spot was my one quarter of the bed--the other three quarters, one dog to a quarter, were occupied as usual and  the inhabitants were snoring away as always. Nary a one was pining at the door.).

This bolstered my confidence that we could sometime take a vacation away from home so long as we hired an in-home house and dog sitter who loves dogs. Both a relief and a semi-sweet realization after living so many years with beloved but--what--co-dependent ? hounds before.   Kind of but not exactly like when the kids fly the coop.

Val