[Dailydrool] Dexter's sad story

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Sep 25 17:42:16 PDT 2017

This morning the humans got up at zero dark thirty. I, Dexter, was too
tired to do more than curl up again in my bed. After all, humans are
prone to do funny things, and they are not always my business. I should
have been suspicious when the other two hounds got breaker and I didn't.
But I went into the car and let the humans take me on a long ride.

When we got there, I was not happy. I know this place, because it's
where I lost my first painful eye. What would they take now? I faintly
remembered mama saying something about lumps. Oh, no, were they going to
take away the little lump on my leg that I love to lick? All my
objections--and I was quite vocal--availed nothing. They made me eat a
pill and took me away from my mama!

I woke up kinda owwie and had a stupid thing on my head; I think they
call it a cone. The doc gave me pain medication. Finally my humans came
for me, and mom boosted me into the backseat. I slept all the way home;
even that dopey cone couldn't stop me.

Tonight the mama gave me food, but I don't want anything to do with it.
She needs to give me more auntybiotics, whatever they are, but I need to
eat first. I can't tell her what's wrong, but she says she thinks that
first aunty made my tummy feel upset. We are waiting for a call from the
surgeon, who is still working late at night.

Oh, and I hate that cone. Mom thought that was why I was so mopey today,
even when I should have been perking up. And that may be the truth, but
I'm not telling. All I will say is that it is going to be a very long
two weeks, if mama keeps that cone on as long as the doc said to.

Mama is asking for drool for my tummy or whatever else it causing me to
feel so punky.

Dexter of the Dashing Bassets, who says he never did anything to deserve
this