[Dailydrool] peeing in the house

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 14:04:22 PST 2018

Our first basset, Cassie, long at the Bridge, was plagued with lots of interdigital cysts.   She would always let us know when she got one by peeing on the carpet.   One of the first times she did this, we came home and she had peed in the house and her dad started to tell her she was a bad dog and she just held up her paw with the new cyst to show him.    From then on when we would find that she had peed in the house we knew another cyst had shown up.   She was so good about the cysts too - we would take her to the vet and he would lance them and bandage then and she just sat and let him do this.  I guess she knew that he was helping her.   Bassets do find their ways to let their slaves know when something is bothering them.

We did have lots of adventures and learning about bassets in the 12+ years we had her.   She was from a pet store since we didn't know about rescue at the time and all of our subsequent bassets were rescues.  Being a puppy mill dog she had lots and lots of medical issues but she was a sweet girl and we loved her.   One time she had some sort of issue that required stitches after being fixed and late the that night the stitches broke and she was bleeding all over - we could hardly believe all the blood!   We got her in the car and sped off to the nearest emergency pet hospital.  We had not been there before and I didn't even think to bring my purse  in the rush to get on the way.  Of course one of the first things they wanted was her regular vet's name and information.   This was way back before I had a cell phone with phone numbers and information and since I didn't have my purse, I left her there with her dad and drive home (about 4 miles or so) to get the information.   I noticed right away that a police car was driving right behind me and without my purse I didn't have my license and was covered in blood since she had sat in my lap on the way to the vet.   All I could think was what if I get stopped, don't have a license and look like I just stabbed someone 100 times!   I drove very carefully and managed to get home OK.    The next day when we went to pick her up she was out by the reception desk just lying at the feet of the girl there.  She told me that Cassie didn't like being in her kennel so they let her stay out there.   They were our emergency vet from that moment on until we moved several years later.

Carol, now owned by Cooper