[Dailydrool] Pottying, e-mails, arthritis, and the Drool

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 04:44:28 PST 2018

"She was about 14 weeks old when we met her and has
already started educating the family about what bassets are all about. In
typical basset hound fashion, she is not being easy about house training
but she's too cute to get mad at. I don't know if I was very reassuring
when I told them that hounds are pretty stubborn and it's not unusual for
them to be at least six months old or older before you can really call them
house trained (Toby was about nine months old before he really got it)."

Our only small puppy,  Jane, took nine months to get perfect on pottying,
but she never had another accident except one time when we had guests and I
evidently was not listening to her potty requests. During training I
thought she would never get the idea, but I finally put a line of Christmas
bells on the door, and she learned to ring them when she needed "outness,"
as I called it. None of the rest of my hounds has picked up on that, but I
have not been as consistent as I could be about training them because those
constantly ringing bells can become a real irritant.

Karen, have you tried writing your notes to the Drool in your notepad and
then copying them to your e-mail? It worked for me when we had Optimum and
my notes were littered with question marks. Since switching to gmail I have
had no problems.

I forget who had the hound with arthritis, but when we had Holly, who had
terrible arthritis, we did the Adequan shots. You can only do so many of
them, so we also put her on Dasuquin; though it is not the cheapest
treatment, it was very effective. I highly recommend it.

Somehow my comment on the Drool's slowdown did not make it into the digests
(or maybe I missed it?). But I want to thank everyone who has given me good
advice through the years. I am probably a real pain to all the vets I visit
because I go in and tell them just what's going on in no uncertain terms.
Generally I am right--unless I say I don't know what the issue is--and it's
all because of my Drool training.
Pam, still being food slave to the Dashing Bassets after all these years.