[Dailydrool] Dying Drool List and seizures

Kara Carpenter frknhippie at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 06:39:05 PST 2018

I'm a lurker and always have been but still here and skimming though the Digests every day.  I've found that even when the list was more active and I asked a question I never got much of a response...on FB you get TOO much of a response if you know what I mean (most of it is not helpful and inevitably things veer off course).  But I still enjoy the posts from all of the regulars.  I'll try to make more of an effort to post more whether it gets a reply or not :-)
One thing I'd like to share is concerning seizures.  I've posted before (and gotten excellent feedback and help from Bev) about Rooney's seizures.  He was diagnosed with epilepsy about 2 years ago at the age of 9 and was put on Zonisimide twice daily but still had seizures regularly every 6 weeks that really threw him for a loop in the postictal stage (it was lasting 5-6 days!).  Of course this all happened about the time my long time vet moved away but we've finally found a new vet who is awesome.  Long story short he added Potassium Bromide once daily and we are now almost 12 weeks seizure free (knock on wood!!!) and the potassium bromide is quite inexpensive to boot!  Rooney is more and more like his old self with every day that passes.  Just thought I'd share for any others dealing with an older dog with seizures.
Thanks!Kara, Rooney & Fitz