[Dailydrool] Splenic tumours

Rebecca Louisa Stanton pummorse at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:35:34 PDT 2018

Thank you everyone for all your notes to us and wonderful advice too.  I
will be speaking further to Morse's vet, but he is nearly 14, and whereas
when we first took him in yesterday they actually said that if we went to
the surgical route they thought he would be a good candidate, by the end of
the day  - after the ultrasound - all at the practice felt he was not a
good candidate.  I will ring  again today to find out more about this - I
was a bit shell shocked with the news - but I would imagine that in
addition to his age etc, what they saw on the ultrasound put them off
surgery.  Apparently the tumour is so massive the ultrasound doesn't
capture all of it, and the vet says she can see it on his side when he
moves (although I have to admit I cannot).
We will be definitely buying Yunnan Baiyou and also just general mushrooms
too which we hear can be a good thing.
I would be very interested if any of you who have gone through this with
your bassets could email me privately to let me know how long you had, what
to expect etc.  I am guessing its too difficult to say, but we are not sure
whether we have days, hours or weeks with him.  The vet said she didn't
feel it would be months.
I think we need to really look at quality of life for him.  We don't know
whether it is malignant or benign, but the vet said the majority are
benign, and that metastases are very common, plus in addition it can often
recur.  We think surgery for him would be difficult as he would need to be
in the vets for at least 1-2 nights, and that's if nothing went wrong, and
Morse looked like his life was ending yesterday when I left him for just 2
hours.  Even if he were a surgical candidate, I wouldn't do that to him, he
would be devastated.  Then I imagine it would take some time to get over
the surgery, no inning and out of the car like he loves, I would imagine -
again something he loves.  We know we have limited time with him, and we
are just making the most of him.  This morning he has breakfast of sausages
and bacon at the quayside, if he feels up to it.
Thank you all, as always.
Becky, Mike, Morse and Pumbaa ATB
pummorse at gmail.com