[Dailydrool] Losing your foster dog

Kathryn L. Johnson johnkath2 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 12 13:39:21 PDT 2018

Speaking of losing your dog – well here is my story.  Both Rocky and Scooter passed away in 2014 so I decided I would foster for North Texas Basset Hound Rescue.  My first foster was from a backyard breeder, her name was Lady and she had never been in a house.  She was a total sweetie. (I still kick myself for not foster failing with that dog.)  I take her right to the vet, she gets all checked out and stays the night – will get spayed the next day.  After recovery I pick her up, take her home, show her around the house and show her the dog door.  I didn’t do much on getting her through the dog door as she was still recovering – just showed it to her.  So all is well – the phone rings, Lady is fine – exploring the house.  I’m on the phone for longer than I planned on.  When I’m off the phone I look around for Lady.  No Lady.  I look in every room in the house.  No Lady.  Huh, odd.  I look more carefully – you know behind chairs under tables, etc.  No Lady.  Very odd.  I call for her.  No Lady.  I am now starting to panic.  None of the doors to the outside have been opened since I got home, so she has to be here – right??  Now I look in all the closets.  No Lady.  Well maybe she got through the dog door and is in the fully fenced and locked backyard.  I look outside.  I call for her.  No Lady.  Panic now sets in.  How am I going to tell the rescue I’ve lost my first foster?!  Where the heck could she be?  OK, calm down, she has to be here somewhere.  I look all through the house again.  No Lady.  I go into the backyard and even glance around the side of the house to the small side yard – nothing there but the compressor for the air conditioning.  No Lady.  Total panic, yet I know she has to be here somewhere.  OK, she must be somewhere in the backyard.  I go behind every bush, I even go into the side yard and happen to glance behind the compressor.  There she is all curled up in a pile of leaves sound asleep.  Total relief!!

Kathryn
Scooter (atb), Rocky (atb) & Sandy (atb)
Johnkath2 at verizon.net
Sent from my iPad